Welcome!

Welcome!
This is the place for friends to talk about books, movies, music, food, and everything fun!

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lilly Faye's Movie Review: The Trip to Italy, starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon


Dear Readers,

Dizzie and I had the chance to watch The Trip to Italy recently. As with their previous film, The Trip, a culinary tour of northern England, The Trip to Italy starring Steve Coogan (Alan Partridge, Philomena) and Rob Brydon (Gavin and Stacey), is drawn from a 6-part BBC series.

The plot is very simple. The Observer is paying Coogan's and Brydon's expenses while they drive around Italy in a Mini Cooper convertible, dine in fabulous restaurants, and write a column about their experiences for the newspaper.



Dizzie: I didn't see much writing being done, Boss.



Lilly Faye: I didn't either, Diz.

Along the way, Coogan and Brydon engage in long conversations about the state of their careers, family life, and the inevitability of aging. 

The two actors play slightly fictionalized versions of their real selves in both films, so it can be a bit troubling when they dabble in casual infidelities, especially if the audience isn't quite certain where the line between truth and fiction lies.

If you enjoy watching these two actors constantly trying to outdo each other with inside jokes, witticisms, and dueling impressions of other actors, notably Sean Connery, Michael Caine, and Al Pacino, you will love The Trip to Italy. If that's not your cup of tea, the movie is still worth watching for the food and the breathtaking Italian scenery.

It was fun to experience Italy vicariously, wasn't it Diz?



Dizzie: It sure was. I really envied those two guys. After using up THE MASTER'S frequent flyer miles, I'll be stuck vacationing at a resort close to home this fall.



Lilly Faye: At least you've traveled this year. I've had to settle for stay-cations.



Dizzie: You're right, Boss. 

I did go to New York City for  Fashion Week , and the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show,  Day 1  and  Day 2 .

Then I flew to Hollywood for  the Oscars .

I also took a little trip to visit  my birth family , before returning to Hollywood for  the Primetime Emmys . 

I guess I shouldn't complain, but I'd still like to go to Europe.



Lilly Faye: We should make up our minds that we're going to Italy at some point, Diz. I've always wanted to see The Shroud of Turin.



Dizzie: I'd love to swim the Amalfi Coast, and attend Clooney's wedding in Venice!



Lilly Faye: Oh, Diz, did you receive an invitation to the wedding?



Dizzie: I'm sworn to secrecy. It's all very hush-hush. They were in the planning stages when George took me to the  parties after the Oscars . 



Lilly Faye: I imagine it's a lot more fun to visit Italy with a friend, like in the movie, The Trip to Italy.

You know who would really love to go to Italy, besides us? Frank! He'd fit right in on the beach in his little black Speedo, and he'd LOVE the chance to study the cuisine.



Dizzie: Well, if you're bringing Frank along, I'm going to invite Willow. It would give me the perfect opportunity to impress her, far away from all those other dogs who are chasing after her. Willow and I could swim the Amalfi Coast together!



Lilly Faye: What a great idea, Diz. It would be double the fun to tour Italy with another couple. It sounds so sophisticated!



Dizzie: Maybe we'll get to make that trip one day, Boss.



Lilly Faye: We can dream, Diz. In the meantime, I might watch The Trip to Italy again while I'm at home on my stay-cation.

Lilly Faye's Movie Rating: Two Paws Up! (based on the gorgeous scenery)


2 comments:

  1. Are you a fan of them generally? I adore Rob Brydon so I really wanted to see this - haven't gotten around to it yet though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam, thanks for visiting my blog!

      I liked Steve Coogan very much in Philomena, and I adored Rob Brydon as Uncle Bryn in Gavin and Stacey. If you haven't seen G&S yet, you absolutely must try it! I think it is one of the top British series of all time. It has a definite story arc, so be sure to watch the episodes in order. The writing by James Corden and Ruth Jones is simply brilliant!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave me a woof!